Ceramic Yarn?


I confess. Yes, I've been swatching with this new Ceramic yarn from Needful Yarns. It's supposed to keep you 5 degrees cooler -- because it has ceramic (clay) in it......and it helps protect you from the UVA and UVB rays.

Carolyn at Main St. Yarns let me swatch this up for her to see how it knits up. Because it's silky, I knit this swatch on a 5 mm wooden needle -- it's sort of strange to knit -- as you put your needle into the stitch to knit it, the stitch pulls "yarn" from the surrounding stitches and seems to stretch -- but it isn't really. A bit disconcerting at first, but you quickly get used to it.

I found that it caught a bit on my wooden needles -- so maybe I need to try some nice bamboo needles with this yarn. I'd like to use it for a summer top -- to help keep me cool - why not?

This is a lovely red shade, but of course, I want the ORANGE (is there any other shade?)

Happy Knitting

Comments

  1. Wow! Ceramic? Like space shuttle tiles? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds cool (LOL - pun intended!!) - I'd love to give it a try. Maybe I'll pick up a ball or two at the Frolic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd heard about this yarn. It sounds intriguing. Is it pleasant to knit with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to find out if it really keeps people cool. I thought I had no time for the stuff till Saturday when I was complaining to hubby that it was too hot outside and he looked at me and said "it will be 10 degrees hotter in a month".

    Yes, I have cats. Two of 'em. Males - 10 and 6.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've definitely never heard of Cermaic Yarn before, but it sounds to be very interesting indeed, and the swatch looks absolutely awesome! It seems to have a fantastic feel to the skin! And, btw, yay for orange!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmmm, living in Las Vegas, 5 degrees would be a HUGE cooling factor in the summer! But I'm thinking since it's a 'dry' heat (hehhehhhe) anything over 105* is still going to HOT no matter WHAT the yarn is made of. Unless...it's WET!! And in the shade. Love the color you're using.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So can I tile my kitchen with it?

    Looks intriguing, I'll have to look for it. (I'm a sucker for new yarn)(ok, I'm a sucker for any yarn)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, anything that weird, you know I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale