Shadow Box Cowl

A quick iPad photo of my Shadow Box Cowl.

After seeing Candice's cowl last year done in Rowan Lima....I've been wanting to knit one of these myself. So....when I started the socks in Lima...that just pushed me over the cliff...so to speak....and more Machu Pichu Lima was obtained on a trip to The Needle Emporium.....

Although Lima isn't at all similar to the suggested yarn in this pattern....I knew from Candice's cowl that somehow it worked.

In an unusual cavalier attitude for me, I just cast on.....for the largest size and started knitting. The pattern calls for a gauge of 13 sts and 25 rows to 10 cm.

There is a lot of knitting in this cowl...knit in the round, one round of knit, one of purl, gives a lovely squishy garter stitch. You knit straight up to the shoulder point where you decrease on one side to define a shoulder...while continuing straight up on the other. A very unique design that I was intrigued with.

A few days of intense knitting and it was done.....6 balls of Lima....and when I tried it on, it was 56cm across the bottom...the pattern calls for 64......

With a Eucalan bath and laid flat to dry.....the circumference of this cowl is blocked out to the prescribed 64cm...and the fabric is very drapey....if that is a word.

The washed garment now is now on gauge!?!

The unshaped shoulder can be worn loose and hanging...or pinned up as per the design with a button....or with a pin as I've shown mine here.

My official photographer is down with the flu....luckily we were planning a quiet Christmas...and this means that anything panned for the next few days will have to be cancelled....pooh....to make for an even quieter Holiday.

Oh well.....more time to knit.

Merry Christmas everyone....and Best Wishes for a wonderful 2013.

This photo is a couple of years old....but it represents Christmas around our house....these guys love presents.

Happy Christmas



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale