My Summer in Knitting

It is September already! When kids go back to school, they are sometimes asked to write a report on what they did on their summer vacation....this is my report!

The summer lingers but evenings are cooler. The garden is winding down...the Echinaceas are past prime, and the last Hostas are blooming! This is my favourite time of year for many reasons....Before we settle in for the knit season....I wanted to give you an update of what's been happening here this summer!




So, it's been HOT! Hotter than any summer I can recall!

Hubby and I cancelled our June trip (a combination of circumstances) and this gave me a great excuse to spend my summer vacation (dollars) visiting yarns shops (both new and familiar ones).


Recently I read an article from the perspective of a yarn shop owner....about "customers" who come in, look around, do research, maybe ask a question or two, finger some yarn, then turn around and order from an on-line source (because it is cheaper!) Ah ha!!! How can it be cheaper....you can't go into an on-line shop and play with the yarn, ask a question and get good advice...can you!


When you enter a yarn shop, you cannot leave without buying something! This is my new rule! So, applying my new "rule" to any yarn shop I visited this Summer, I've had a great time and look forward to great knitting this fall/winter!


The photos below will give you a taste of my summer adventures...













You don't have to spend a lot....a sale of stitch markers, a design booklet, some wool wash....it all helps to keep our yarn shops going!

Here are direct links to the shops that I visited...and shopped in.....
in Alphabetical Order :)

Docknits, Port Elgin, Ontario - Docknits is located on the main street of Port Elgin, Ontario. This shop offers a great selection of yarns for the knitter/crocheter/weaver and rug hooker. Rowan, Shibui, Cascade, Noro, Peace Fleece, Schachenmayer are all represented here....as well as Shantiknits, hand dyed locally! Weaving is so popular at Docknits,  that they often run a weaving club. This shop has a unique clientele, serving their local, vacationing and on-line customers! It's worth the drive to Docknits if you are in the area...and be sure to check out their on-line shop for great sales!


Georgetown Yarns, Georgetown, Ontario - another "local" shop that I dropped into this summer! This shop is organized by weight of yarn....start from the door and follow through clock wise for the weight experience! There is a sense of community at Georgetown Yarns! You always find someone to chat with in the knitters/crocheters lounge in the back! Georgetown Yarns also has an on-line shop!


Handknit Yarn Studio, Hamilton, Ontario - Pom Pom magazine led me to this new (to me) yarn shop in Hamilton (my home town). Located on James St. North, HKYS is another boutique shop...beautifully curated and displayed yarns. Two clothing racks hold the sample garments. Yarn is on the wall or on tables in the centre of the space....there is very little if anything on the floor here and the feeling is all light and airy (even though it is one of those deep narrow shops). Handknit offers select yarns from various indie and big name suppliers.....Koigu, Hedgehog, Julie Asselin, Anzula Luxury Fibres, baa ram ewe, Indigo Dragonfly, Cascade, ShiBui, Malabragio and Lopi! They also have a dedicated spinning/weaving area at the back! HKYS offers classes aimed at the beginner knitter, crocheter and spinner! Hand knit Yarn Studio is open 7 days a week! Check them out!


Knit Knackers Yarn, Smith Falls - While travelling to Ottawa, we stopped for a coffee in Smiths Falls! Walking down the block to stretch our legs...what did we find! A yarn store! My hubby does not believe that this was "by accident". Also organized by weight....Cascade, Classic Elite, Drops, Estelle, Lang, Patons, Sandnessgarn....this extremely friendly yarn shop is obviously a big part of the community - I think a luncheon group were packing up when I arrived! Ah yes, that was the Noonknit group which meets on Thursdays! On-line shopping is offered too!


Main St. Yarns, Milton, Ontario - this is my "local" and with convenient on street parking it's easy to pop in for what you need! MSY offers a varied selection of yarns of all weights and price points! They are known for their wall of needles and the button collection never fails me! MSY also has an extensive on-line shop where there are great offers! It's Socktember at MSY, so stop by for 25% off your sock yarn!


The Needle Emporium, Ancaster, Ontario - This is my go to shop for all things Rowan. I have to say that it is hard to stick to your shopping list even for a Rowan fan like me. Each room of this shop is a different weight of yarn - which makes it easy for you to find your weight of yarn, pick from all of the various brands, check out all of the shades, substitute if the particular brand you are looking for isn't there, and make a final decision! Blue Sky Fibers, Lorna's Laces, Madelinetosh, Mrs. Crosby, Zen Yarn Garden and more!!! I have been shopping at The Needle Emporium since it opened...and it still amazes me every time I visit! TNE offers on-line shopping! Visit The Needle Emporium at the Kitchener-Waterloo Knitters Fair next weekend!

Spun Fibre Arts, Burlington, Ontario - I popped in here to get what? I honestly can't recall....but I know I left with something :) Spun Fibre Arts serves it's knit/crochet and spinner/weaver customers with a wide range of yarns (Manos del Uruguay, Regia, Sublime, Mirasol, Debbi Bliss, Briggs & Little) and Ashford Wheels & Looms! Spun Fibre Arts has a sale on-line shop!


Unraveled, Perth, Ontario - I came across this yarn shop at the Kitchener-Waterloo Fair a couple of years ago and filed it in the back of my mind to visit one day! Perth is a gorgeous little town, in the middle of nowhere (well, it is on Hwy 7) and I dropped the hubby off at the local pub for a brew while I visited Unraveled. Unraveled is what I'd call a boutique yarn shop - a beautifully curated selection of yarns from Shirley Brian Yarns, Lorna's Laces, Madeline Tosh, Soak, Opal, Shibui, Hand Maiden, Fleece Artist, Rowan, Debbie Bliss, Malabrigo, Classic Elite Yarns and more!. The displays are unique - love that wall of needles! Unraveled also offers Schacht, SpinOlution, and Ashford wheels carders and looms for you spinner/weavers! I know Unraveled will be at the K-W Fair this year - so keep an eye out for their booth!


Wool N'Things, Orleans, Ontario - What an amazing shop! You'll find the complete line of ROWAN (including the Swarovski crystals) here. Although Wool N'Things does not have an on-line shop, the owner Giselle assures me that she will mail order anything a knitter might need! Wool N'Things offers a wide range of yarns for every knitter - Malabrigio, Blue Sky Alpaca, Shibui, James C. Brett, Sirdar...too many to list here! Did I say the complete line of ROWAN? I did? ok....Check out the web site!


Whew....it has been hard work visiting all these shops, but someone had to do it right?

I've been knitting with Rowan Pure Linen - a ta da blog on that will be forthcoming! Also, I've been knitting fair isle squares for the first Marie Wallin Fair Isle Blanket Club! Marie has just announced a second blanket club....it is beautiful....but in all honesty, I am all blanketed out right now! I need to finish my current blanket and get on with sweater knitting. Some knitters like to knit socks, others shawls, some love beads, others blankets....I LIKE TO KNIT SWEATERS!

The Kitchener-Waterloo Knitters Fair is next weekend. I might just pop by to see if there is anything new I need to check out!

See you there?

Happy Knitting,

Anne
(with Lackie and Daisy happy to be here in the basement
 sleeping...at my feet)

Comments

  1. Thanks for the overview of Ontario yarn shops....I am always on the look-out for new ones to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for sharing such beautiful and evocative photos. So much to knit.....so little time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice group of yarn stores you have nearby!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale